Thursday, January 2, 2014

Here in Paris: Day One Overview

Bonjour tout le monde,

After many years of anticipation, months of saving, and hours of very hectic traveling, I am thrilled to say that I have made it to Paris! My flight even arrived an hour ahead of schedule.


A friend of mine (introduced by another friend from Couchsurfing) met with me at the airport and helped me with my bags and the métro; it was such a nice help after being so tired from my flight. Not to mention he was extremely forgiving with my French, and great practice partner.


We headed to have an early lunch, and found a yummy Arabic place to have kebab beef and fries. I got mine on pita, making it a gigantic shaved beef, french fry and tomato roll-up with spicy and creamy sauces. Yummy! Then we explored the métro system for a few hours after having a 10-day pass made for me.


Later in the day, we took the métro to my Couchsurfing host's beautiful apartment right near the Eiffel Tower so that I could settle in and stop dragging around my luggage (finally!!!).

Once evening rolled around, my host took me to Aux Merveilleux de Fred, for the #1 rated brioche pastry in Paris, and led me to Trocadéro for the main attraction.


When I first saw the Eiffel Tour, I nearly cried! All lit up and glorious, it was just perfect.


For the rest of the evening, we wandered the city marking monuments off of my to-see list.


...and I ogled at the Eiffel Tower at every turn. It really is as beautiful as in any photo.


Palais de Tokyo, Place des Invalides, Les Champs Élysées, Musée d'Orsay, Le Palais de Justice, Le Pont des Arts, Saint-Chapelle, St. Michel and St.-Germain-des-Prés were also incredible to see at night! Paris is designed to be illuminated, it seems.


Last but not least, my host treated me to a splendid dinner at his favorite restaurant. Day one in Paris has been a singing success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?